Ticket #744 (new task)
shared files appear not shared to some peers
|Reported by:||J+||Owned by:||quinox|
Some peers are having problems when trying to download files from me. The file appears "not shared". It's a mysterious error that can't be solved by simply using the software in a different way, and it seems to be part of a larger communication problem that occurs between my client and those of the peers that suffer the problem.
Some general information i've been able to collect so far:
- The peers that get a "file not shared" error are a minority (4 so far); most peers are able to download without problems.
- Rescanning or rebuilding the shares file does not solve the problem, nor does removing the cache databases from the ~/.nicotine directory in order to rebuild them.
- It has nothing to do with buddy-only shares, because the affected files so far were shared to everyone and the problematic peers include both buddies and non-buddies.
- When peers experience the problem, the affected files don't appear in my uploads list.
- Bark, a user with Nicotine+ 1.2.15, reports that he doesn't have the problem.
- SirDutch? cannot download from me because of this problem, but I can download from him.
I've also collaborated with one of the problematic peers (PRasda) in an experiment to reveal some more information. PRasda is using Soulseek 157 ns 13e and generally doesn't experience problems in downloading.
- PRasda accepts upload from users in their buddy list, and I'm in their buddy list. I tried to upload to PRasda. PRasda didn't see the files in their download list. In my upload list, i get the error "connection closed by peer", and after a while the entries disappear automagically.
- I suggested that PRasda would try to download from roboto3785, because I knew he's using Nicotine+ too. PRasda got the same "file not shared" error. I've asked roboto3785 what version of N+ he's using but he didn't respond yet. PRasda will also keep me updated on other users that they get this error from, so more info will follow.
- I tried to download from roboto3785 myself, which worked out fine.